Neonatal Metabolic Screening tests are required by the State on all infants born in Iowa. They are referred to the University State Hygienic Laboratory (UHL) in Ankeny.
Note: Blood specimen must be collected at least 24 hours after, but not later than five days after the infant’s birth.
1. Blood is collected on the INMSP collection form. All five circles on the form must be filled adequately. The blood must soak through the paper from one side and be visible on the opposite side. Refer to “Metabolic Screening, Perinatal; Specimen Collection” protocol.
2. Excess blood is not acceptable.
3. Insufficient blood is not acceptable.
4. Allow the samples to air dry for at least 3 hours. Do not heat the forms. Do not place the forms in contact with one another or with other absorptive surfaces until the blood is dry.
5. The UHL requires that all samples be sent by courier or mailed within 24 hours of collection. Samples drawn on the evening shift may be held overnight to be sent with the samples drawn the next morning. Samples drawn in the morning are to be sent by courier or mailed the same day.
6. Make sure all pertinent information is complete and correct on the INMSP form. (See example)
7. Code the INMSP collection form with the Facility Number.
MMC-DBQ is Facility # 045
MMC-DV is Facility # 059
Finley is Facility # 011
8. Record the test sent in the Referral Log, if applicable. Refer to “Reference Test Log; General Policy”.
9. Hold the UCL requisition and the Submitter copy of the INMSP form in the Pending File until results are returned.
10. Place the completed INMSP collection forms in the pre-addressed envelopes provided by the UHL and forward by Central Delivery Service (CDS) courier system or mailed to:
University Hygienic Laboratory
PO Box 249
Ankeny, IA 50021
11. When sending by CDS courier, complete the on-line form and print the shipping manifest. Refer to “Transport of Specimens to UHL/UIDL” for the appropriate steps when sending by CDS.
Note: If an INMSP is being repeated on a patient at the request of UHL due to abnormal results, order another Neonatal Metabolic Screen and “zero” out the charge in CLICS.
i. August 1989 L. Kelley
ii. September 1992 J. Mueller (Revised: phone number)
iii. June 2002 L. Kelley (Revised: format, phone number)
iv. May 2005 R. Maiers (Revised: testing location, phone & FAX numbers)
May 2010 S. Dunn (Revised: II.11.; appendix A added)
June 2011 S. Dunn (Revised: appendix a)
August 2011 M. English (Revised: II.11.; removed appendix a)
December 2011 J. Heiar (no changes)