Diagnosis of throat infection by culture depends on the collection of high-quality specimens, their rapid transport to the laboratory and appropriate storage before laboratory testing. The Amies media in the Starswab II Culture Collection and Transport System is recommended for collection and transportation of aerobic and facultative microorganisms. The collected specimens are transported to the laboratory where they are inoculated on appropriate culture media.
1. Peel open the sterile Starswab II package.
2. Remove the plug from the tube.
3. Remove the swab.
4. Instruct the patient to sit or lie with head tilted back, and then have the patient open his/her mouth and stick the tongue out.
5. Direct maximum lighting to back of throat.
6. Using a tongue depressor, depress the tongue and swab the epiglottal area using the Starswab II.
7. Remove the swab taking care not to touch other parts of the mouth.
8. Insert the swab into the tube and push in the plug.
9. Label the specimen. Two patient identifiers are required: patient name AND unique identification number (e.g., medical record number, Typenex number, date of birth, patient account number or client number). Specimen source, date and time of collection are also required.
10. Transport the specimen to the laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
11. Avoid extreme temperatures; optimum storage is room temperature.
1. Starswab II package insert. Starplex Scientific, Inc.
i. May 2009 M. English/A. Hall
December 2011 A. Hall (no changes)
February 2012 C. Pregler (Revised: II.9.)